In the northeastern part of the state, Wilmington is known for its diverse population and cultural influences, which are reflected in the city’s various culinary offerings. From classic American dishes to international flavors, there is something for every taste in Wilmington.
Best Dishes and Local Cuisine
- Scrapple: A regional dish made from pork scraps and cornmeal, scrapple is a Delaware staple often served as a breakfast food. It can be found at many local diners and restaurants.
- Soft Pretzels: Wilmington is home to the famous Auntie Anne’s Pretzels, which started as a small pretzel cart in a local farmers market and has now grown into a global chain.
- Crab Cakes: Located on Delaware Bay, Wilmington has access to fresh seafood, and crab cakes are a popular dish in the area. Look for them on the menu at many local restaurants.
- Chicken and Waffles: This classic combination of savory and sweet is a popular dish in Wilmington, often served with a side of syrup or hot sauce.
- Philly Cheesesteak: Wilmington is located just a few miles from Philadelphia, so it’s no surprise that Philly cheesesteak is a popular dish in the area. Look for it at local sandwich shops and restaurants.
Best Restaurants in Wilmington, DE
- Harry’s Savoy Grill: This upscale restaurant is known for its refined dining atmosphere and delicious American cuisine. Some popular dishes include crab cakes, filet mignon, and seafood risotto.
- Columbus Inn: Located in a historic building in downtown Wilmington, the Columbus Inn is known for its classic American dishes with a twist. Try the fried green tomatoes, duck confit, or seafood sampler.
- Ubon Thai Cuisine: This popular Thai restaurant is known for its authentic flavors and generous portions. Some must-try dishes include pad Thai, green curry, and papaya salad.
- Domaine Hudson: This chic wine bar and restaurant serve contemporary American cuisine focusing on locally-sourced ingredients. Popular dishes include short ribs, truffle fries, and artisanal cheeses.
Food Festivals in Wilmington, DE
- Wilmington Wine & Beer Festival: This annual festival features tastings of local and international wines and beers, as well as food from local vendors.
- Delaware Burger Battle: This annual event brings together local chefs to compete for the title of “Best Burger in Delaware.” Attendees can sample burgers from various restaurants and vote for their favorite.
- Italian Festival: This annual festival celebrates Italian culture and cuisine with food, music, and games. Look for classic Italian dishes like pasta, pizza, and gelato.
- Riverfront Blues Festival: This annual blues music festival also features food from local vendors, including barbecue, seafood, and other festival favorites.
Best Time of Year to Visit for Food Lovers
Wilmington is a great destination for food lovers year-round. The spring and summer months offer the most opportunities to enjoy outdoor dining and food festivals. The warmer weather makes it the perfect time to try local seafood dishes and sample craft beer and wine at outdoor festivals.
Other Attractions in Wilmington, DE
- Brandywine Creek State Park: This park offers hiking and biking trails, picnicking areas, and fishing opportunities in a beautiful natural setting.
- Hagley Museum and Library: This museum and library is located on the site of the original DuPont powder mills and offers tours and exhibits on the history of the DuPont company and the Brandywine Valley.
- Delaware Art Museum: This museum is home to a collection of American art, including works by artists like Edward Hopper and Georgia O’Keeffe.
- Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library: Located just outside of Wilmington, this museum and garden feature a collection of American decorative arts and a beautiful garden with over 1,000 acres of the natural landscape.
People Also Ask
What are the best seafood restaurants in Wilmington, DE?
Some popular seafood restaurants in Wilmington include Big Fish Grill, Harvest Thyme Kitchen, and Pickled Pig Pub.
What are the best Italian restaurants in Wilmington, DE?
Some popular Italian restaurants in Wilmington include Trattoria Giuseppe, La Fia Bistro + Market, and Capriotti’s Sandwich Shop.
What are the best outdoor dining options in Wilmington, DE?
Some popular outdoor dining options in Wilmington include The Farmer & The Cow, Half Full, and The Stone Balloon Winehouse
In conclusion, Wilmington, DE, is an excellent destination for food lovers, with a diverse culinary scene that offers everything from classic American dishes to international flavors. Whether you’re looking for fine dining, casual fare, or outdoor dining, there are plenty of options in Wilmington. There is always something new to try in this vibrant city with various food festivals and events throughout the year.