Sweet, delicious Dungeness crab is always a treat. – Tom Douglas
A lot of people asked what I did with my Dungeness crabs Patricia Edwards, from Linda Brand Crab, graciously gave me at the Portland Farmer’s Market last Saturday. I was in the mood for Asian flavors and decided upon doing a take on salt and pepper crab. It quickly escalated to a sizzling rice version done as a soup.
Breaking Down a whole Crab
Salt and Pepper Dungeness Crab Sizzling Rice Soup, the video recipe
Step One: Sauteing diced ginger, garlic and hot peppers in oil to release their flavors.
Step Two: Add diced onions, scallions and green peppers.
Step Three: Adding crab sections, greens and hot broth
Step Four: Deep frying rice cakes
Step Five: The rice sizzling in the soup
step six: eat
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 hot red pepper
- 1 inch section ginger, diced small
- 4 fat garlic cloves, peeled and diced small
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 Dungeness crabs, cleaned (see pictorial at EatTillYouBleed.com)
- 1 small bunch kale, chopped
- 3 quarts crab stock, make like chicken stock except with crab shells
- 8 instant sizzling rice squares
- Heat oil, hot red pepper, ginger and garlic in a cold pan and cook till amber colored and fragrant.
- Add sweet onion, green onions and green pepper and saute till softened, about five minutes.
- Blend coriander, fennel, ground ginger, sugar, white pepper and cornstarch. Sprinkle over sauteed onions.
- Add crab body sections and continue stir frying.
- Add kale and cook till they are soft.
- Add crab stock, bring to a boil and simmer for thirty minutes.
- In the meantime, improvise a deep fat fryer by putting vegetable oil into a high sided sauce pot about one third of the way up. The amount of oil you use depends on the size of your pot. Heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees and carefully add 8 instant sizzling rice squares. Cook till they are brown and crispy.
- Add the crab meat to the soup and season for salt.
- Pour the soup in a serving dish and drop the rice squares into the soup in front of your guests.
- The rice will sizzle away. Enjoy